As “horseless carriages” became more frequent at the turn of the 20th century, even Whittier was part of the growing automotive industry through a handful of pioneering locals. The first automobile manufactured in Whittier was built in 1902 by Harry H. Hooper and Al Rowe of Scott Road in East Whittier. Hooper, a self-proclaimed “pioneer jeweler” and registered optician, was well known in town. He was a member of the Hillside Club, which had a club room in the Truman Berry Block at the corner of Bright Avenue and Philadelphia Street. Hooper partnered with Rowe to purchase the blacksmith shop …
